Guy who wants his girlfriend to lose weight causes controversy

posted by brian -

Humans of New York subject who wants his girlfriend to lose weight stirs controversy

Maggie Parker

October 31, 2017

Photo: Facebook/Humans of New York

Well, this is weird: A recent Humans of New York post is receiving very negative reactions.

The account, known for its moving, inspiring, or, at the very least, entertaining profiles of New Yorkers, shared the story of a guy who wants his significant other to lose weight. And people are upset.

Last Thursday, a photo of a guy’s crossed legs was posted on the HONY Facebook page. He appears to be sitting on a park bench, and his face is cropped out of the photo. And when you read the controversial caption, it’s clear why the image is presented in this unconventional manner.

“At first I told myself I could get past it. I said, ‘Let’s just see how it goes,’” the caption begins. “We had excellent dates. Everything else about her was exactly what I wanted. I didn’t want to ruin something good for that one little reason. But it’s been 1.5 years. And I feel horrible, but I just can’t get past it.” Oh gosh. This sounds really bad. Even worse than we thought. “And I feel like a bad person for being bothered by it. I can’t bring myself to tell her. We’re going to couple’s therapy next week, but I still don’t think I’ll be able to say it.”

So what is this man holding back? He continued to ask, “Is there any right way to ask someone to lose weight for you?”

The reactions are overwhelmingly negative, with someone on Twitter even calling the subject “a terrible human being.”

“No. You are the one with the problem, not her. Do her a favor and end it,” one HONY follower wrote. “The easiest weight she can lose is to drop your sorry dead weight ass,” said another. “You’re wearing cargo pants. You can’t say anything about anyone else’s appearance if you’re wearing CARGO PANTS,” one commenter pointed out, to which another follower responded, “She is going to recognize those pants and those socks. She probably washes them. He is soooo busted.”

26 OctBrandon Stanton  ✔@humansofny

“At first I told myself I could get past it. I said, ‘Let’s just see how it goes.’ We had excellent dates. Everything else about her was exactly..." pic.twitter.com/PV0fAOrDIB

AJ @aj_penguin

This dude's wearing cargo pants and thinks his partner is the problem?! Nah dude.

5:26 PM - Oct 27, 2017

26 OctBrandon Stanton  ✔@humansofny

NotMyRealNameObvs @IwasntInvited

I bet he's also convinced he's her physical ideal.

7:54 AM - Oct 28, 2017

Twitter Ads info and privacy

With society already favoring women who are thin and far too many average-size women feeling dangerously insecureabout their bodies, followers are fuming over this man who seems to be fanning the flames.

26 OctBrandon Stanton  ✔@humansofny

Cait @caitlinkelhower

But what happens when someone who is okay with themselves finds out their best friend/person they love isn’t okay with how they look?

8:40 PM - Oct 26, 2017

28 OctLL COOL J @JoshDKelseyReplying to @TooMuchMae and 3 others

Because, like I said, it usually takes minimal effort. And it usually begins with a small change in behaviour/habit, like most things

Hannah Campbell @HLNCampbell

Yeah, but why should she have to make even minimal effort if she’s happy? We make changes in relationships, we shouldn’t change ourselves.

1:15 PM - Oct 28, 2017

27 Octangel emoji @RyanTheWelchReplying to @ATemp08 @humansofny

I don’t think you know nearly enough about them to say whether or not they’re a terrible human being.

Allie @ATemp08

If a man can’t love a woman when she’s overweight, he doesn’t deserve to love her if she ever decides to lose weight on her own

2:11 PM - Oct 27, 2017

Twitter Ads info and privacy

“You obviously need to move on and let her be loved by someone that does not need her to change.” Someone else said, “Here’s the thing: you are entitled to your preferences and if you aren’t attracted to overweight women, there’s nothing wrong with that. The problem is that you’ve now led her on for a year and a half and wasted her time ‘trying to get past it,’ and since you can’t, you want her to change for you. You should have never started dating her if you knew it was an issue for you from the beginning.”

26 OctBrandon Stanton  ✔@humansofny

Mashka @yamafhka

Who hasn't had a partner with one thing you hoped would change? This girl is someone's dream. If not yours, let her be free to find him.

8:49 PM - Oct 27, 2017

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Some commenters know what it’s like to be in this woman’s shoes. “I’ve been the woman in this situation. You’re an ass bro. The problem is you clearly are attracted/like her regardless of weight. You have social hang ups about it. Don’t ruin her life because you can’t be a real man,” one woman wrote.

Of course, the post sparked a major debate as to whether it’s about attraction or health, and if it is about attraction, whether it’s OK to want to be more attracted to your partner.

26 OctSabrina Hogan @SabrinaHoganReplying to @humansofny

bad person no...shallow yes.

Imran Haluk Senlik @haluksenlik

How is this shallow? He obviously loves her, and wants her to be attractive. Dont we all want our partner to be attractive?

11:50 PM - Oct 26, 2017

Twitter Ads info and privacy

For every person attacking this man, there is someone defending him. “So much hate here. … He’s grappling with the fact he’s not physically attracted to someone he deeply cares about. He’s not some raging, misogynistic douche bag. He’s a real person, telling someone something he feels very conflicted about. Now isn’t the time to insult him. Instead, it’s time to gain insight to how other people think and feel. In other words, empathy,” one person insisted. “If you think she shouldn’t have to lose weight to please him aesthetically — then say so. He’s asking for your advice, not your validation to hurt his girlfriend, which is obviously the last thing he wants to do. So stop attacking him for dealing with the way he feels in a really reasonable and self-reflective way,” suggested another.

26 OctBrandon Stanton  ✔@humansofny

Paola Elefante @PaolaElefante

The guy simply has to accept he is not physically attracted to her and move on.Happens to everyone to compromise and realize it doesn’t work

2:19 AM - Oct 27, 2017

26 OctAllie @ATemp08Replying to @humansofny

That is a terrible human being.

angel emoji @RyanTheWelch

12:48 AM - Oct 27, 2017

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Others are simply offering their honest advice.

26 OctBrandon Stanton  ✔@humansofny

Esther Rov-Ikpah @scintillator05

Just say it. I'd rather know something like that than not know

1:49 PM - Oct 27, 2017

26 OctBrandon Stanton  ✔@humansofny

Jakub Zachnik @jakubzachnik

tell her and see what happends. if you cant talk to her, the body thing i the least of your problems in this relationship

6:43 AM - Oct 27, 2017

26 OctBrandon Stanton  ✔@humansofny

Sarah Miller @YeSturge

It's about honesty. There's obviously a problem if they are in therapy. The lady deserves to know what it is so she can make her choice.

4:23 AM - Oct 28, 2017

Twitter Ads info and privacy

What do you think of this guy’s concern?

Source: yahoo.com

Comments

The Freakshow with Flyin Brian

The Freakshow with Flyin Brian

Want to know more about The Freakshow with Flyin Brian? Get their official bio, social pages & articles on 105.5 The Beat! Read more

title

Content Goes Here

This ad will close in X seconds.